It’s been more than a few days, but here are the manifestations of humility listed in “From Pride to Humility”, by Stuart Scott. (See April 03 post if you do not understand…..)
1. Recognizing and trusting God’s character. (Ps. 119:66)
2. Seeing yourself as having no right to question or judge an Almighty and Perfect God.
(Ps. 145:17; Rom. 9:19-23)
3. Focusing on Christ. (Phil. 1:21; Heb 12:1-2)
4. Biblical praying and a great deal of it! (1Thess. 5:17; 1Tim. 2:1-2)
5. Being overwhelmed with God’s undeserved grace and goodness. (Ps. 116:12-19)
6. Being thankful and grateful in general towards others. (1Thess. 5:18 )
7. Being gentle and patient. (Col. 3:12-14)
8. Seeing yourself as no better than others. (Rom. 12:16; Eph. 3:8 )
9. Having an accurate view of your gifts and abilities. (Rom 12:3)
10. Being a good listener. (Jam. 1:19; Phil. 2:3-4)
11. Talking about others only if it is good or for their good. (Prov. 11:13)
12. Being gladly submissive and obedient to those in authority. (Rom. 12:1-2; 13:1-2)
13. Preferring others over yourself. (Rom. 12:10)
14. Being thankful for criticism or reproof. (Prov. 9:8; 27:5-6)
15. Having a teachable spirit. (1Cor. 4:7)
16. Seeking always to build up others. (Eph. 4:29)
17. Serving. (Gal. 5:13)
18. A quickness in admitting when you are wrong. (Prov. 29:23)
19. A quickness in granting and asking for forgiveness. (Col. 3:12-14)
20. Repenting of sin as a way of life. (1Jn. 1:9; 1 Tim. 4:7-9)
21. Minimizing others’ sins or shortcomings in comparison to your own. (Matt. 7:3-4)
22. Being genuinely glad for others. (Rom. 12:15)
23. Being honest and open about who they are and the areas in which they need growth.
(Phil. 3:12-14; Gal. 6:2)
24. Possessing close relationships. (Acts 20:31-38 )
It looks like the rewards to being humble far outweigh the “perks” to pride…. I know what I’m praying for.
Father, thank You that You never give up on me. Thank You that You know what I can be – and that it is Your desire to refine me to that point of perfection. Take my pride from me, please Father. Remove the self-serving nature that grows inside me and replace it with lovingkindness and the desire to serve others through You to Your glory. Amen.
Living in His love…. striving for His glory.